Thursday 25 October 2007

North East Footballers

North East Footballers :

SUNDERLAND'S Nyron Nosworthy and Dean Whitehead have been named joint winners of the north east football writers' player of the year award.They are the first joint winners since Newcastle United's Neil McDonald and David McCreery in 1987.Nyron and Dean won the award ahead of Mark Viduka - then at Middlesbrough, now at Newcastle - and Magpies defender Steven Taylor.Nosworthy said: "It really is an honour.

I know some top, top players have won this in the past, and it's a very prestigious award. "We enjoyed a fantastic season last year, and I was lucky to have played my part. I was just happy to be involved. "But to be recognised with this, along with Deano, makes me very proud."Sunderland captain Dean Whitehead said: "It was some season last year, but I've always said it felt different to the previous promotion, more of an achievement after the slow start – and hopefully it will be more of a permanent promotion this time around.

"It was a huge team effort, everyone played their part – including people behind the scenes, the coaches and physios etc – so I think this award for me and Nuggsy represents our achievement overall, as a team. "It is still very nice to win such a highly-regarded award from the north east football writers though, so that's the icing on the cake."

No comments: